TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Technological successor and halo car for Nissan at the time
People Seeking Info

Subject Technological successor and halo car for Nissan at the time

Posted by vorpalZ on November 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM
  This message has been viewed 532 times.

In Reply To 370Z isnt really the successor to the Z32, the GTR is (n/m) posted by LJZTT on November 18, 2014 at 05:32 PM

Message sure, I go along with this. However, this isn't the ninties anymore and priorities and focus has drastically changed at Nissan.

With the collapse of the expensive import sports car market in the mid-ninties, there was no place for Nissan to go with improving on the Z32 and releasing another twin-turbo top line car in North America. They barely survived as a company past 1999 when Renault stepped in.

The push for both the 350Z development and later the R35 GTR development both came from Goshn. Both projects were pursued with different goals, the 350Z as a resurrection of the 'affordable sportscar' that was the original 240Z, lighter, not complicated, sporty and (relatively, with all the modern safety stuff larded on) cheap. The VQ35 engine was used across the Nissan product line, much like the KA engines in the 240SX. Nissan was still barely making money at the time, and the time to go all out would come later, when they had recovered. Adam is also right with the G35 comparison, the upscale 350Z with more of a luxury feel as closer to the Z32, although I have to say, the G has much more of the R35 GTR about it in body design and styling than any Z car.

Although with the focus on bringing the GTR to North America, the Z line is definitely relegated to sports car 'second string', much like the 240SX was when sold with the Z32. The GTR departed from its traditional setup as well, gaining a ton of weight, a V engine and a marketing push for North America.

Is the GTR the successor the the Z32? There are direct technological similarities:

- V6 twin-turbo engine, turbos mounted aft, low and down dropping to the exhaust unlike the Skyline motors
- Top car and most expensive one of the Nissan product line, meant to be a powerhouse, comparable to the best competitor cars out at the time
- 2 door coupe only

and differences:

- AWD system
- Styling & size
- Trunk design, no fastback for GTR
- badging and model designations directly follow from previous generations: Z32-33-34 R32-33-34-35

If only it wasn't so fugly, I'd probably have one by now.

MY Zs ARE HYBRID VEHICLES, THEY RUN ON
GASOLINE AND MONEY

"I expressed no attitude, I'm correcting you. If you don't
like it, try not to be wrong next time. Now you're getting
attitude, and if you don't like that you should grow a thicker
skin.”

- TriniTT 14:04:16 12/22/12

”Exhaust doesn't produce horsepower”
- VERTTZ 13:17:22 06/26/12

I'm off to wax mine and go for a drive now.
- BigTDogg (MA) 07:17:08 07/17/09

times
change, people change, but the Z32 still kicks ass.

- apudapus 16:46:02 06/15/07

I was more
wondering how you set your climate control to 22* lol, it
would be that fastest freezer on wheels!

- Briscoe'sZ32 (NJ) 23:15:44
02/05/07

You have *got* to be getting a cut from
B&B :D

- SeedyROM 15:24:29 08/16/06
What do you think B&B stands for?
- YugoBernie (NoVA) 15:57:09
08/16/06

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.