TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - They each have benefits and challenges
People Seeking Info

Subject They each have benefits and challenges

Posted by BlackholeZ on November 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM
  This message has been viewed 621 times.

In Reply To Re: I think map is preferable to blow thru anyway posted by Bigwill837 on November 14, 2014 at 05:34 PM

Message A MAF measures the mass of air that is entering the engine, and as long as there are no leaks between the cylinder and the MAF, it is very accurate. It has the benefit of being flexible, you can change a lot of things and its measurement stays accurate.

A MAP system can infer the amount of air an engine is getting based on the temperature and pressure of the air in the plenum. However things that affect how efficiently the engine can breathe can cause error in the measurement. Things as simple as a freer flowing air filter can sometimes require a retune. It has the advantage though of measuring inside the plenum, so its measurements are very accurate when tuned well. Compared to the MAF in stock location a MAP system can greatly improve throttle response, as well as simplify the inlet system since you can basically put the filters anywhere.

The big disadvantage to MAP for most people is that it requires a standalone ECU, something most people don't do. This is part of why a lot of us are excited about the Ash/Selin blow through setup. It gets us near to the advantage of MAP without having to go standalone.

-Dan
VTC Solenoid Caps and install instructions.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
"'she' also likes to swap since I think I am going to need to give her to woody again." - Dvlhntr
"full alphabetic boost mode" - ChristopherTheOne
" Purrs like a sexually satisfied black panther." - BigTDogg
"Two oil eating, angry, spinning triangles of death." - turtleboy on rotary engines

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.