TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Crazy Project
People Seeking Info

Subject Crazy Project

Posted by JDAVE on October 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM
  This message has been viewed 1768 times.

Message So wanted to share the hellfire we put ourselves through in order to get the black Z to Z Nationals this year. It starts off with Mike's 1070whp TT Z and the issue he's been having with transmissions. With this kind of power Mike was destroying OEM 5 speed transmissions while in gear. After several broken 5 speeds, he decided to try out the TH400. We bought the set up used and found that the converter could not take the power and was blowing power through it. Once you got to 7000 rpm, it never left all the way through the gears. Was a wild ride but not what he was after. After sending the converter back for a re-stall and tighten the slipping issue was still prevalent. Since we know what my red car does (570whp 589wtq) we decided to line to two up to get a gauge of the power difference between the two cars. From a roll I didn't get a nose out on Mikes big Turbo Auto before he was damn near out of sight. The car motivates. We brought it back and strapped it to the dyno. At 35psi the rollers showed 410whp. The chassis dyno may be the enemy of the th400 but we knew there was still something going on with the set up. This is 2 weeks before Z nationals. The only shot we have at a transmission that will hold the power is my Specialty Z Built auto. We decide that for the car show we probably shouldn't take Mike's Z down. Locally we call it the "test bed" which we think is great but it's not much to look at. Mike has always been about performance first and looks second. So what we have is my black Z that has been down over a year and my SZ auto trans. Came up with the idea to swap everything into my chassis and take that car to Z nats in hopes to win the dyno competiton. So here's what we're up against.

Original 5 Speed have to convert to auto
No Engine
Haltech Installation
No brakes
No Bumper
Interior is incomplete
No Stereo or Battery Wiring

We get the engine pulled from Mike's Car and ready to go in mine. This is his backup engine. We both have high compression crower crank builds that we have to finish but this is a stock crank 8.5:1 CP piston eagle rod engine with MJ modified new style heads & 400+ cams with two gtx3576 turbos strapped to it.

photo F6C63207-0E29-44E2-8195-703A818A477C_zpsq20pera9.jpg

Engine and Transmission installed
 photo 394896A1-A237-4ED5-9F6F-CD9F8DCAA6A7_zps7ztliivd.jpg

In order to do the 5 speed to SZ auto swap we needed something that was going to communicate with the automatic transmission. I found a ESS Racing "shift at will" paddle shift kit on the classifieds for it. After a bunch of wiring we got the transmission computer up and running. Mike did some custom work and was able to install the paddle shifters on an aftermarket momo wheel and get it to work with the factory clock spring,

photo 145A3468-8A3E-4077-BD6A-267619FF9532_zpsrg1zy5gf.jpg

We strapped it to the dyno

Mike tuned it to 968whp 827wtq 42psi on e85 through the automatic with more power left in it for the dyno at Z Nats.

Here a shot of the car as we were buttoning it up
 photo 1DCE29DF-6A84-4DD1-AFB3-71DBC3837B1B_zpswstlsbpr.jpg

We built a bracket and relocated the oil cooler between the headlights. In place of the oil cooler's factory location we have a large transmission cooler.

photo 9F052638-1144-4F0A-8A8F-19B72C09F468_zpssvcyy5dc.png

photo BE12D135-DA5D-498A-B817-6D3766B5AFE2_zpscmnxde8m.jpg

Overall I'm impressed with the responsiveness of the paddle sifters, it's instant shifting. There is a gauge that was supplied with the kit that tells you what gear you're in. We retained the factory auto shift knob and Mike wired the oem overdrive button to lock the converter up. It's a shame this kit is discontinued. The built SZ auto is holding the power and pulls like a train. The 315 Mickey Thompson's wont hold all the power but may ditch the rear bbk so there's options to run a 15x10 with a 50 series sidewall tire later.

It was a crazy 10 days to 2 weeks and the dyno competition being cancelled at Z1 was a let down for us but we had a great time down there as always. We will be back next year with hopefully two 1000+whp built auto Z's.

Big thanks to Charles, Scott, and Andrew for helping get this done. We're blessed to have such a great team. This Engine was built from the ground up and tuned by Mike Jackson. Mike daily drive's this set up. Powersteering, Air Conditioning, Full Interior, stereo system, all the creature comforts. When the power is turned down a little it's very streetable on the 18' mickeys, responsive, comfortable, fairly quiet and easy to drive. When you need more power you just open the laptop.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.