TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Turn the boost up for 400rwhp, maybe the 450 we originally
People Seeking Info

Subject Turn the boost up for 400rwhp, maybe the 450 we originally

Posted by dogpile on October 15, 2014 at 7:44 AM
  This message has been viewed 281 times.

In Reply To what are your plans for it? (n/m) posted by aliaZ on October 15, 2014 at 04:52 AM

Message it for. I kind of need to install the flex fuel stuff, so I'll be doing that unfortunately. Which means I need to actually tune it for pump fuel, not leave it as a limp mode like it currently is. We got it to about 24mpg on E85 on the highway -which most of my driving is- but my wife likes to go on road trips, so I'll need a solid pump tune once she's ok with stuffing a kid in the back. 300rwhp+ is considered safe on pump, so I'll probably set it there.

Ideally I'd make a full 3" exhaust (2.75" catback on it now) with quad tips, but that requires reworking the rear bumper, so it might be awhile. Other than that, there's just a few little cosmetic things here and there I'd change.

I know some shops were making 700+rwhp on a stock block, and did countless drag passes, so I might -very doubtful- turn the boost up more eventually. The setup should be able to do 550rwhp, so I'd need a bigger turbo. But there's still no aftermarket bearing option, so that makes me nervous. Once there's a bearing upgrade available I'll probably dig into it...you know, for the sake of the shop :)

Really though, what finally sold me was that it's a running fun car. I could have easily made a faster car for the same price or less (think 700rwhp+ MR2), but with a baby coming Christmas Eve, I thought it best to get a running car that I like so I can actually drive it. That, and I built the thing anyway, so I'm just as invested in it as any other project I'd have picked up.

If you're asking what my plans are driving wise, not much. I might do an auto-x here and there with it. Maybe a track day just to remember what it feels like, but my shifter kart really makes a taking a street car on a track again seem boring, and expensive. So really it'll just be my daily driver and act as a sign car, kind of like it does now. It's gotten us a good bit of local business, and we are actually going to be doing the base map for the new Top Speed turbo kit coming out, so it'll be nice to have it on the streets more for extra visibility.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.