TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Sounds like a rough day
People Seeking Info

Subject Sounds like a rough day

Posted by Zbullet on September 08, 2014 at 7:02 PM
  This message has been viewed 528 times.

In Reply To experience at specialty z posted by Alik Deaf Z on September 08, 2014 at 05:20 PM

Message Looking at this from SZ's point of view … if they inspected the car and weren't satisfied that the upgrades were completed in an appropriate manner I think they are entirely within their rights to refuse to move forward with a tune. They have a reputation to uphold. If your engine grenades a few weeks after a tune I'm sure your message on the board would be chalked full of barbs not to mention the hassle and potential legal action which may follow. I'm sure that SZ would rather not put themselves in that position.

I can also understand if they provided you a list of items with an approximate cost to optimize your Z's output. I'm assuming that this would be based on one of the two goals:

1) getting the most out of the car, or
2) a specific HP goal

Assuming that ASH Massives, piping, injectors and a few other parts were on the list the 6 - 8k price tag is easily reached.

I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't tune your car because it had a front mount intercooler. Ironically the SZ Beast runs a FMIC. The poor choice of injectors, elevated possibility of unmetered air leaks and questionable workmanship on the mod's/installs are the likely culprit.

A good vendor needs to protect their reputation as well. It's not always about the amount of money that goes into the till each night.

$385 for an inspection is a bit steep. Really depends on how deep they were digging. It's pretty easy to spend a few hours tracking down boost leaks.

Although disappointing I think you should be directing your complaints at the guys that obviously ripped you off (i.e whomever sold you Fake HKS BOVs). I'd also follow up with the shop that did the mods with a list of SZ's concerns in hand. $385 is a bit of cash but probably no where near what you spent at the shop getting the mods installed. THose "HKS" units probably weren't cheap either.

I'd say its time to reassess your goals. I'd obviously look to recover some costs from the vendors you've been using. I think your anger / disappointment should be directed toward them.

Best of luck

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.