TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Magnaflow muffler options
People Seeking Info

Subject Magnaflow muffler options

Posted by nb623107 on August 20, 2014 at 10:49 AM
  This message has been viewed 624 times.

Message Hey everyone,

I'm starting to piece together my own customer exhaust for the Z. I'm doing full 3" from the turbo's back. Purchasing downpipes and test pipes, and building the rest! Lots of good options out there, but I like to be a little different. I've got a Magnaflow Tru-X pipe that will be placed in the rear of the system, but am having problems deciding on a muffler... was hoping to get some opinions from you all!

I have linked below the two mufflers I'm looking at. Basically, I want my exhaust to have minimal drone on the freeway but quiet enough to carry a conversation at cruise (I've had other 3" exhausts before, so I know it won't be absolutely perfect), but be low and throaty and 100% rasp-free under WOT. My current 2.5" Stillen exhaust sounds great, but is really raspy around 3k IMO.

What is the general consensus on muffler size? What is the largest that will fit? Will a larger can produce a deeper tone? Most kits (Stillen included) seem to use a 5"x8" oval muffler about 14" long. I was looking at this muffler as a direct replacement ([ http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=14835 ]), but was thinking that, if I could fit them, that a 5"x11" muffler may be a better option? I found this one that may work, but I haven't been able to get under the car to get measurements yet ([ http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=12076 ]). I'm thinking it may be a big too long though... They also have a center/center config version of this but I would imagine that would be even more difficult to fit. Obviously I would have to get tips for these as well.

Any thoughts are appreciated and welcomed! I'm going to try out just the Tru-X pipe with the mufflers first, and if it needs a little more to control drone/rasp later I will add either resonators or some Random Technology high-flow catalytic converters as a last-resort.

Current mods include: Ash planar intake, Ash 2.5" IC piping, Ash MASSIVES, JWT Sport 500s, and Nismo 615cc injectors. Future plans include MSP manifolds!

Thanks,
nb623107

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.