TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - ^Yeah
People Seeking Info

Subject ^Yeah

Posted by -Grimm- on August 19, 2014 at 12:49 PM
  This message has been viewed 318 times.

In Reply To That must have been a really old post you got that posted by Ash's Z on August 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Message I was a little confused when I read that "Ash wrote awhile back" paragraph.

To help clarify...

Stock function has a pressure feed from the boost pipe (pre-throttle body) to actuate the wastegate.

This pressure feed has a T in it which connects (through the boost jet, through the NO safety boost solenoid) to the suction side of the compressor.

The T fitting/boost jet lowers the pressure applied to the wastegate to achieve higher boost levels than the wastegate setting (7psi). When the certain criteria are met ('Safety Boost' criteria), the ECU closes the NO solenoid on the T which causes full pressure to be applied to the wastegate, lowering boost levels to 7psi.

Hence, larger boost jets increase boost (allowing more pressure to be relieved)

Like Ash said, although you can hook a boost controller up using stock lines and retain safety boost, its not really necessary (and if not done correctly creates more issues)

I removed by boost solenoids, pulled the wire through the loom back into the cabin and used it to turn off power to my EBC. That way my ECU still has the ability to drop my pressure if need be.

------------------------------------------------------------------
1992 300ZX NA 5 Sp (Dead)
1990 300ZX NA Auto 2+2 (Dead)
1990 300ZX TT 5 Sp (Building)
2004 G35 Sport 6MT (DD)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.