TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - NA to TT auto tranny conv. pulls forward harder in idle in D
People Seeking Info

Subject NA to TT auto tranny conv. pulls forward harder in idle in D

Posted by Jiro on July 31, 2014 at 1:38 PM
  This message has been viewed 333 times.

Message This what I found in another forum about the differences:
------------------------
"So I just pulled the NA auto out today (already had ordered the TT trans so I have it) and side-by-side, the turbo transmission is about an inch longer.
The bolt patterns in the bellhousing are the same (FSM shows different bolt lengths, though) but as someone said, the flywheel is different - the torque converter bolts are about 6.5 inches apart on the NA and 7 on the TT. Also, the propeller shaft yoke is much bigger in the TT and I'm assuming since it is a longer trans that a different shaft will be needed.
The biggest problem I saw is that the transmission crossmember (wasn't included in my TT trans, just going off mounting holes on trans) sits about an inch further back, so none of the crossmember holes will line up.

Has anybody done this transmission swap? I may be overlooking something, but it looks like you'd have to drill/thread new holes to get the crossmember on, which is definitely not worthwhile.

I got a TT trans because it was much cheaper and plentiful (from coming off auto TT clips) than the NA trans (not to get a beefier transmission) and at the time, I couldn't find info saying they're different."

---------------------------
Could the difference in the tranny causing this weird issue I'm having?

Yes, so awhile back, I installed a TT automatic transmission into a NA auto car. I didn't drive the NA auto very much when the busted NA tranny was in so I can't remember if the car was behaving the same before the new one was installed. The NA tranny was busted: no reverse and no drive, just 1st and 2nd but you had to manually select them while hearing a harsh metal grinding noise.

After I installed the TT transmission and test drove it. At a stop it felt like the the car pulled harder at idle... I had to put down the brakes harder than usual to keep it from lunging forward. Could it be the result of the new transmission? Or might it be due to perhaps a high idle which makes the engine spin and makes the auto transmission wanting to stop slipping and engage?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.