TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: What issues did you have with the VG?
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: What issues did you have with the VG?

Posted by MaxxAction on July 15, 2014 at 9:42 AM
  This message has been viewed 350 times.

In Reply To What issues did you have with the VG? posted by bartz32tt on July 15, 2014 at 09:07 AM

Message Well,

the last two years of that motor's life were a mechanical clinic. The cam/spring combination rattled the VTC's to death (even upgraded gears rattled) Late in 2011, an idler stud snapped,(I attribute that to the heavier spring pressure from the ferrea spings)and bent a couple of valves. Got that fixed.

In august of 2012 , I lost a head gasket. When I pulled it apart, it appeared that the head gasket had been leaking minutely for quite awhile, had some rust spots in a couple of cylinders so I honed it slightly, put in new rings, and reassembled it.

Then in November of 2013, the exhaust cam on the driver's side snapped off at the snout (again, too much spring pressure I think.) Luckily, the CAS held the timing belt together, so no damage to the heads, so I was able to sell them.

I thought while it was down, I would just go with a different block, and get truer cylinder walls. So I sold the big heads, bought a stock set of heads, and had them worked, bought a different block, and had it bored. When I put it together, I found out that the block had been decked (the guy who sold it to me didn't tell me that) and evidently the heads had been at some point too because I had to notch out the tensioner to get it to proper spacing, and even at that, the motor was not in time as it should be.

After I got it back together, it wouldn't make compression, Come to find out that the machine shop over-bored it slightly so the rings didn't seat.

In retrospect, had I stuck with my original mods, that VG would probably still be in there and running fine, but after everything, I was just over it.

The hose should be fine. It is about half of a stock upper radiator hose, the part that has the bulge in it, so it has a little wiggle room.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.