TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - So here's what I have done to my car since december.
People Seeking Info

Subject So here's what I have done to my car since december.

Posted by MaxxAction on July 15, 2014 at 8:12 AM
  This message has been viewed 905 times.

Message After having some continuous issues with the VG, and not wanting to part with my car, here's what I did instead.

I still need to get a fitting to make my cruise module work with this TB, and I have yet to run my wiring for the A/C, but everything else is pretty much done.

The motor is an aluminum block .020" over LS1 with 241 cathedral port heads. It is all new, top to bottom. Performance parts include Mahle Coated Pistons, Crower forged Rods, GM performance 600 lift Beehive springs, a 575 int/574 exh 224/224 duration cam, mild porting on the heads, and 410cc injectors.

I went with the Megasquirt ECU, primarily because it was four to five hundred dollars cheaper than other stand alone systems. It is extremely easy to use, and came with a base tune in it. It also has a feature called "Autotune" which fine tunes for cruising etc. I really need to get it on a dyno, which I hopefully will in the next month or so.

The conversion was done with the LOJ Innovations swap kit. that covered the harder stuff: Oil pan, pick up, motor mounts, flywheel, transmission mount, adapter plate and accessory drive.

I had to fabricate all the heater and radiator hoses, PCV system, and vacuum feeds for everything. The core support had to be modified to accommodate the radiator so I could use a puller fan setup. The radiator was modified to line up better with the pump outlet, and I made the brackets to mount it. I went with a c6 vette water pump for additional clearance, and that required some fiddling with the spacing for the accessory drive.

I have about a hundred and fifty miles on the car with this motor in it, and so far, I am tickled with the results. The LS motor doesn't feel quite as stout on top as the VG did when it was right, but the torque down low is incredible, and fun.

If anyone is considering this swap, if you have the means, and the mechanical ability, I highly recommend it.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.