TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - NJ Z owner.....At a crossroad and would like your input.
People Seeking Info

Subject NJ Z owner.....At a crossroad and would like your input.

Posted by canIb00Zt on July 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM
  This message has been viewed 505 times.

Message I am going to try and make this short and concise. Please bare with me.

I have been the proud owner of a Z since 2003. My car started its life as a NA and around 2006 the car was converted to TT and we upgraded the fuel system and turbos. The car ran great for years but around 2010 I was finishing school and the car started to be neglected. The first thing that started go was the original paint. I kept putting it off because I did not have the money to fix it at the time.

In 2012 I started driving the car a little more often and started to notice some funny noises from the engine bay. The motor developed what I thought was a tick possibly from the lifters. The sound eventually went away but after periods of not being driven the tick would come back.

I took the car to a Z mechanic in 2012 to have them look over the car. Once a compression test was done on the car I was told that there was low compression in cylinder #3 I believe. The mechanic told me this but did not record the compression values to show me so who knows.

Since 2012 I became very busy as the new owner of a small business. For those of you that have been there, you know it consumes your entire life.

I now have started to have time to get back into the things I enjoy and the Z was at the top of my list. As the car sits today, this is what it needs to my knowledge:

1. Paint job (few dings and scratches but the clear coat has failed and needs to be resprayed)

2. Motor rebuild ( a low compression cylinder will only get worse over time)

3. Suspension should be redone (not major)

4. Exterior ( moldings, trim is dry rotted, tailight is cracked from stress, wing is dry rotted)

5. My AC was removed and I want it back ( As a young adult I didn't mind but now that I am 30 years old and sweating profusely in the summer, I would love that AC back.

6. Engine Management revamp ( I have always wanted to re-do the EMS but I am still unsure of what I want at this point but I have done research on a few (suggestions welcome)

THese are the things I can think of currently, which I guess is quite a bit. The issue is that I am not the most mechanically inclined, more importantly I do not have the space or necessary tools to dive into the motor. In NJ there are not many options in terms of reputable shops to work on the Z.

I would love to restore this car and keep it as a solid built weekend warrior to take places, cruise in, and just enjoy driving. I am not looking for a time attack car or a dyno queen. I am looking for something that is put together properly and with a little extra power just for the hell of it. What would you guys recommend in this particular situation. I will be taking it one step at a time as my budget is limited, but I would like to at least get the ball rolling on this. PLease feel free to contact me directly with input or advice. If anyone knows of a trustworthy shop here in NJ please let me know as well.

Sorry for the extra long story, I tried to leave out the BS as best I could.

Thank you

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.