TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Upload a pic of your setup
People Seeking Info

Subject Upload a pic of your setup

Posted by OverZealous (CT) on June 29, 2014 at 12:01 AM
  This message has been viewed 340 times.

In Reply To oil ristrictors using ss lines on thrust bearing/stock turbo posted by LivinTheDream on June 28, 2014 at 02:32 PM

Message First, thanks for recognizing my post.

1. I'm imagining the only thing preventing coking with your aftermarket PS turbo is the SS lines (though I'm not sure if they're routed the same as the OEM line). If in doubt you can add what was recommended by Turbodog(CT) which is equivalent to OEM oil inlet line heat shielding as additional insurance. I think that insurance would be wise knowing you don't have turbo heat shields on.

2. Why did Nissan restrict the flow slightly and its ok to open it up with as [sic] lines? Good question. The restriction is I believe in place to regulate the flow and pressure properly from the oil pump. Too much pressure can cause the turbos to leak oil and smoke through the seals though there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. Too little flow and... well you've seen what happened to mine. The K-stamped banjo bolt is a conspicuous difference to that on the DS where the size of that orifice is finely tuned to the stock turbo flow and pressure requirement. I think the aftermarket turbos come with oil flow and/or pressure specs, right? If you wanted the turbos to work as designed you'd probably want to make sure oil flow and pressure were well within specs but maybe Bernie is right, that's already been taken care of by orifices included with these kits. If so, you don't have to worry about a thing.

3. Since I'm not familiar with aftermarket turbo kits I don't know which banjo to recommend.

4. I've come to realize that OEM restrictor on the driver side (LHS), which is located at the upstream side (non-banjo side) of this line below, is much more restrictive. I'm not sure why there's such a big difference between DS and PS configurations.

OverZealous (CT)

My General posts (click)
My Technical posts (click)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.