TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - PSA: Rear Main Seal Installation & Crankshaft Groove Offset
People Seeking Info

Subject PSA: Rear Main Seal Installation & Crankshaft Groove Offset

Posted by OverZealous (CT) on June 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM
  This message has been viewed 1761 times.

Message I've recognized a rather simple solution to the oil leak concerns due to the crankshaft groove from the rear main seal -- simply change the amount which you push the seal into the rear oil seal retainer. There's enough room within the rear oil seal retainer to adjust this offset maybe 1/4" and allow a fresh groove to be set accordingly.

When I installed the rear main seal the first time I made sure it was flush with the outer part of rear oil seal retainer but there exists about 1/8" additional travel for the rear main to be pushed in beyond being flush. It can be pushed in to the retaining tabs without negatively impacting anything I can see... and perhaps it's even supposed to go in that far. The offset is shown relative to the retaining tabs below.

If the previous installation pushed the seal all the way in to the retaining tabs then you can avoid running the exact same seal groove by not pushing it in quite so much and thereby minimizing the possibility of a rear main seal leak. Just make sure the amount you push it in is consistent around the whole seal.

Evan noted that following the FSM regarding installing the rubber end gaskets of the oil pan is not sufficient. Thanks Evan! Does anyone else have any other recommendations along the same lines which could help ensure a successful and leak-free rebuild?

#test

OverZealous (CT)

My General posts (click)
My Technical posts (click)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.