TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: When Windows 9 comes out you update your drivers.
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: When Windows 9 comes out you update your drivers.

Posted by zromtech on May 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM
  This message has been viewed 220 times.

In Reply To When Windows 9 comes out you update your drivers. posted by DVDBURN (MD) on May 11, 2014 at 08:34 PM

Message Hopefully PLMS will release updated drivers on time... The point I am trying to make here is that with some adapters you don't need to install drivers *at all*, as they come with the OS by default.

All of these USB Consult adapters use the same FTDI USB-to-Serial converter chip. USB devices have something called a VendorID/ProductID (VID/PID) that Windows uses to identify the hardware and find drivers. The FTDI chip allows either the default FTDI VID to be used, or a custom VID. PLMS opted to use a custom one, so you have to install their drivers before Windows can recognize the hardware. Other adapters (that use the default FTDI VID) don't require any driver installation and will 'just work' as soon as they're plugged in.

Years ago I developed my own consult adapter based on the FTDI chipset and this was one of the issues that came up. It just made no sense to me to use a custom VID. Requiring users to install drivers (that aren't actually necessary) is just annoying.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.