TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I just installed a Pioneer AVIC-X950BH
People Seeking Info

Subject I just installed a Pioneer AVIC-X950BH

Posted by black300zx on April 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM
  This message has been viewed 788 times.

In Reply To Double-din radio suggestion. posted by Woody75 (Denver) on April 30, 2014 at 03:01 PM

Message Double din, touchscreen, Bluetooth, Nav, handsfree, backup camera, HD Radio, etc etc

Snatched it up from Amazon when the prices briefly dropped to $505 shipped. I coupled it with a double-din bezel from Interior Innovations. I'm happy with both so far, however I did have to modify the brackets that came with the bezel to get the radio to fit right.

Thoughts on the unit:

What I like so far:
-The nav works very well, and the "search" function has picked up just about every place that I've tried to stump it with.
-The bluetooth streaming and hands-free work great with my SGS4
-You can add and adjust the backup lines for the rearview camera.
-The touchscreen buttons work well, as do the manual buttons.
-All you need to do to bypass the e-brake/gps/gyro/speedo lockout is move the "mute" wire on the harness to a different location, and ground it. I didn't do this mainly because I didn't want to have to hack into the e-brake and speed sensor harness.

Gripes so far:
-It seems like you have to pick a set volume for the nav voice. You can set how much it dims the music, but if you set the voice directions loud enough for the highway, it's too loud when you slow down.
-I've had a radio with a volume dial for the past 10 years, so it's taking me a little while to get used to the volume buttons. Not an issue, just a habit/preference
-There are a TON of RCA plugs on the back of the unit, and not much space to fit them in. I wound up de-pinning to remove all but the backup camera video input to make installation easier. I imagine this is a problem most nav units will have.

A/V harness before:

A/V Harness after (yes, I documented the pin-out and kept the plugs for later use if needed)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.