TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Stainless steel braided fuel line failure
People Seeking Info

Subject Stainless steel braided fuel line failure

Posted by sparkie on April 30, 2014 at 11:45 AM
  This message has been viewed 1161 times.

Message I have been running a -8 AN SS braided fuel line from the tank to the engine bay for about the past 8-9 years. The car mostly sits months at a time.

Today I turned on the fuel pump to prepare starting the car for the first time since last November. I heard the leaking sound from under the car. Got under the car and saw the fuel shooting out from the line in a couple of places as if someone had punched the hose with a few pin side holes.

I googled it and found some links talking about the similar issue.

[ http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1101_performance_fuel_hoses/ ]

These hoses were designed in the 60s and the fuel chemicals have changed with the new additives and the alcohol content 10-15% in every brand. Plus the AN hoses were designed to be replaced after a certain period.

I called Summit Racing people where I bought these hoses. They know about this and recommended using the Teflon lined hoses (Aeroquip TFE hose).

I was lucky this happened in the garage, not on the road. Imagine the hoses in the engine bay start leaking under high pressure when you are in boost?

If you have been using these lines for awhile and your car sits all the time and you put E85 in the tank, it's time to think about replacing those lines. And check your fuel filter if you are using an line filter. There are probably degraded rubber particles.

www.ztechz.net

ICQ # 14337317

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.