TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - OEM TT Front Fascia Repair Project
People Seeking Info

Subject OEM TT Front Fascia Repair Project

Posted by 280ZuL8r on March 01, 2014 at 9:45 PM
  This message has been viewed 1498 times.

Message After repainting my car last spring, I was graciously blessed with the opportunity to be herded by a semi into some blown out tire debris on the interstate. My smile turned upside down as I exited the Z to find my lower lip completely cracked through in one section, and stress line cracked heavily on the otherside. My car sported the snaggle tooth for another month or so before it went under the knife for the current motor build. With the bumper off for the Ash Massives install, I figured now would be a good time for some corrective dental work.

photo 20140228_122410_zpspnwuwx1u.jpg

Here's a list of materials you will see being used below:
-SEM Problem Plastic Repair Material (Part A & B)
 photo 20140228_134125_zpso2onrzqj.jpg

-Roll of reinforcement screening (adhesive backed)
 photo 20140228_134112_zpsetdptbjr.jpg

-Nitrile/vinyl gloves
-Various sandpaper grits (60, 180, 320)
-Wax & Grease Remover
-Clamps to aid in aligning

I started by washing down the bumper with my steam cleaner to help reduce contamination and cleanup further down the process. Next, I had the bumper flipped over on a stand and found this gem.

photo 20140228_122350_zps8kpxiyt2.jpg

The previous owner had done some "repairs" and by coincidence that's exactly where my bumper split. They had used long strand fiberglass which has zero flexability which is why the repair snapped like a twig upon first glance.

5 minutes and a Dremel with a 80grit sanding flap wheel later....

photo 20140228_134320_zpssnigooo6.jpg

photo 20140228_132504_zpspufcgfxo.jpg

You want to prep the area down to the bare urethane/plastic, leaving a fairly rough surface (60-80grit range) and atleast 4-5" each way beyond the crack. Follow up by blowing the area clean of dust/debris with compressed air and then wiping clean with wax and grease remover to promote adhesion.

Next, use your clamps to hold/align the pieces as best as possible. It works out better jf you leave the front outer face slightly recessed so that adequate repair material can be used to ensure strong bond later.
(Slight fast forward example photo showing the front side after the rear is reinforced)

photo 20140228_141434_zpshn2hgfur.jpg

Ok, back to the first process of the repair..... (Get out your nitrile/vinyl gloves)
Cut two sections of the reinforcement mesh patch to cover the whole areas you have prepped. (Mine were roughly 6x10") Remove the backing and apply the first piece to bridge the crack. Follow up by making a half dollar sized batch of the SEM plastic repair material (mixing equal parts A&B) and applying over the whole repair patch area and an additional 1" beyond. Apply the second reinforcement patch on top of the recently applied filler within the 3-4minute range and press it in using your fingers. The "filler" type material will dry up in about 3-4 minutes so make multiple small batches opposed to one large one. If you do make one large one and don't use it all...it will atleast give you an excellent example as to why its a great repair material.

photo 20140228_140535_zpsvhesyboa.jpg

Fully cured, fully flexible without any cracking. Adhered to a slick plastic sheet and couldn't be pryed off. Should allow it to flow with the rest of the urethane bumper and deflect any future occurrences.

photo 20140228_143001_zpsn1gebl0y.jpg

Fast forward through a few small batches of repair material and 80 grit sanding. I did a similar repair on the otherside as well that had the spidering crack

photo 20140228_140542_zpspiuuk9sr.jpg

The SEM was used throughout the lower lip to repair any spidering/cracks/ chips. Just ensure the area is sanded course enough and cleaned adequately before applying the repair material.

photo 20140228_143657_zpsbonzfa1l.jpg

At this point I was able to pick the bumper up from the lower lip section and watch everything hold up through the stress/flexing. I continued prepping the bumper with 320 grit and a 3M "fine" scotch brite pad for the harder to reach areas and nooks.

One coat of high build primer surfacer, 320 grit sanding, another application of primer to fill all final imperfections, some light sanding, and I was ready for paint.

photo 20140301_180805_zpsx14sr2yu.jpg

PPG DBU 732 Diamond Black Pearl basecoat and PPG 2002 Clearcoat
 photo 20140301_190555_zpsf0e5ffwo.jpg

photo 20140301_191039_zpsreajkv8h.jpg

All in all, it cost me $70 for the SEM, reinforcement repair patch and wax and grease remover. I completed this whole process in 6hrs, followed up by 2 hrs of wet sanding and buffing the next day. I feel very satisfied with the results after seeing replacement fascias selling for $475 on many sites,

Regards,

photo image_zpsd87a8cb2.jpg

photo image_zps3cb9dfb3.jpg

"I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by"

1980 Datsun 280zx
1991 Nissan 300zx TT
2006 Nissan 350z

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.