TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Did my head gasket go bad?
People Seeking Info

Subject Did my head gasket go bad?

Posted by dutch_Z on December 03, 2012 at 9:54 PM
  This message has been viewed 396 times.

Message Hi guys,
Well, my car had been garaged since the belt connected to the water pump snapped a couple months ago. Had to limp home with the car temp gauge reading at the top of its range, while periodically stopping to let it cool a bit. The Z has a hard time fitting on my trailer, so I decided to drive it to the mechanic on a cool day without the belt attached (water pump was wobbly so it would've been no use to put a new one on). Car was fine for a while, but then predictably the temp needle went to the top of the gauge (to the point just past where the continuous line stops, but never hitting the very top dash, if that makes sense). Pulled over once after I saw some steam from the engine to let it cool. Made it to the mechanic, and heard something dripping and hitting the exhaust. My dad says it looked kind of like antifreeze. The dripping slowed after a couple minutes. The total time the car was actually hot was only about 5-10 minutes tops. The mechanic said that sometimes the heat/pressure will cause the leak like that and that it could be fine. What do you guys think? Now I know I should've trailered it, but that simply didn't work for me this time. Thanks.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.