TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I won 1st place, lucky me.
People Seeking Info

Subject I won 1st place, lucky me.

Posted by Woody75 (Denver) on June 29, 2011 at 11:06 PM
  This message has been viewed 1466 times.

Message Little lead in story first. Few weeks ago I did a dyno day a local Nissan club was hosting. I wanted to get a base dyno before I put the larger IC piping on and before I had the car tuned at the end of the summer. Nothing fancy, just run my everyday setting on pump gas. While the numbers were more than I expected, the graph looked like crap. I now know why.

I didnt put much thought into it at the time. I was gonna be pulling my engine to fix a few things and install some other parts along with the IC pipes so I planned on going over everything. So a few weeks ago I pulled my engine and started looking at things. I found I had a exhaust cam seal leak on the drivers side so I tore everything apart. Thats when the fun began.

I found I have the dreaded misaligned CAS bracket issue. This causes the teeth on the cam to wear down and also wears the CAS as well, thus throwing your timing out of wack. Luckly this is fixable, but as you can see by my pics, I was almost out of time.

You can see the teeth are almost gone, also the half moon section is worn a great deal as well.

Hard to see but the CAS teeh have a step in them as well.

So I called up Mike Smith. You may remember I found this issue on another locals Z a few months ago. Lazy link.
Well at that time Mike had me send him a few extra CAS I have so he could use the parts to make a tool for swapping the CAS drive pin on the cam, with the engine/cam installed in the car still. Well he wasnt done yet. Since I had the engine out and I was leaving on vacation, I decided to just pull the cam out and he said I could ship it to him and he would swap the drive pin for me with one of the upgraded JWT chromoly cas drive pins.

When I got back from vacation Mike sent me the package along with a nice certificate. I thought he was joking, but he said mine was indeed the worst he has ever seen.

Here is a pic he took with a stock pin and my worn pin.

Along with installing the new pin, he also cleaned my cam and polished the surfaces. What a guy :). This is why it's great to know him.

Ahh, thats better. All new and not worn out.

This should get me some power back. When the teeth wear like that, not only does your timing bounce all over the place but it also lowers. While its not ideal, by clocking the CAS you can help offset this to get the timing back to 15 but evetually you will clock it as far as it will go and the timing will just continue to decrease from there. It should be good now and I'll be doing the cas bracket fix JWT recommends to help prevent this from happening again. Now to get everything else done on the car. Hopefully we are having Seb and Greg out later this summer for a dyno tuning session with a few of us local guys.

You can find the JWT details here if you are interested.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/VG30DETT_CAS_COUPLING_MISALIGNMENT.pdf.

JackB nimble JackB quick JackB can suck my dick =P - james-lee 11/02/01
Arrogance is the #1 weapon against Supra Owners - MikeH 08/06/02
Dallas with a Z: I like the bulge dude 05/02/03
Bezbefootball: Does dick have anything for me? 10/21/03

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.