TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Thanks for your support...
People Seeking Info

Subject Thanks for your support...

Posted by S2z on April 09, 2011 at 6:28 PM
  This message has been viewed 752 times.

Message I have over 1000 hours building my Z getting it ready for track days, spending the first 4 months of unemployment building my ride thinking any day I would be gainfully employed soon. I modified every portion of the body kit, and fixed all of the "sins" the body shop did during the repaint and kit installation.
As an Aerospace Engineer, I sat down and completed the calculations (including loads and stress analysis'), designed and built the Aero package installed on my Z.
Admidily, the end results are radically different than anything available on the market.
I used a Systems Integration approach towards designing and building the Aero package installed on my ride. There are additional "aerodynamic bits" that are to be installed at the track (i.e. sacrificial seals and strips for the front wing, side skirts and rear diffuser).
To accomodate conditions on the road (cruise nights etc.), the side skirts are hinged to deflect up and out of the way when bumps or dips in the road are encountered, along with LED lights installed in the trailing edge of the spoiler extension /rear wing.

The rear wing is a spiriod design, which is used to create counter-acting vortices, and to separate the high and low pressure airflows coming off of the rear and sides of the vehicle. Careful studying of existing aircraft spiroid designs, along with a detailed aerodynamic analysis, resulted in the design of my rear "wing" and rear diffuser.
Additionally, I fabricated close-out panels that fill the gaps between the core support and front wing. There are also new verticle close-out panels that are attached to the inboard sides of the headlight buckets and pick-up the honeycomb core close-out panel. I also fabricated all new, 3.5" inlet / turbocharger / intercooler ducting using aluminum mandel bent tubing, and carbon fiber, routing the dual air filters to in front of the radiator opening.
To help increase the intake flow, Parabolic section "velocity stacks" were attached to the front of the air filters.

The front fender vents work in conjuction with the outboard front wing close-out panels and inner fender panels, resulting in a 35 degree drop in charge temperatures over the stock "dirty" configuration.

I completed the modifications on 22 Feb. and took her out for her initial ride. The aero package out-performs what I had calculated, the effects being felt in as little as 35 mph. At 70 mph the ride height changes to the extent that traveling over dips or curves on the freeway causes the side skirts to deflect up and out of the way. Further highway testing revealed an unexpected increase in highway fuel milage of 5 mpg.

Parking the car on the street in downtown Kirkland, caused passers-by "gawking" at my ride to walk into telephone poles!
Several people have actually turned around, and chased me down just to tell me how beautiful my car is, the most common question I get is "what kind of car is this?"

After 6 months of being unemployed finally caused me to face the hard reality to sell my Z, one that I had never, never anticipated or wanted doing. Placing an ad in craigslist, resulted in ridicule and harrassment by uninformed, ignorant and opinionated asses on this forum.
So for all of you on this forum that chose to ridicule my personal hard work and tastes, thank-you for your support, (nothing like kicking someone when they're already down)...
Obviously creativity and hard work are meaningless in this so-called "Z Community" (due to the overwhelming ridicule and negative responses I recieved from members of this forum). Now I am gainfully employed, I am no longer faced with having to sell my Z, so I will continue to modify as I see fit...
Thank-you for your support

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.