TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Convertible sub box finally complete... Str8 Kustom!
People Seeking Info

Subject Convertible sub box finally complete... Str8 Kustom!

Posted by PiotrC70 on March 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM
  This message has been viewed 2090 times.

Message This has literally been a month long project for me. Some days, I was just too frustrated to work on it due to my screw ups... not because I can't cut wood, but because the tolerances in a convertible are so tight and I wasn't satisfied with the way the top sat down on the box and how hard I had to push on the tonneau to shut it. I built 2.5 boxes to get this one right. I reused most of the wood from the 2nd one.

Sub specs recommend .45cu ft. My internal dimensions are
22.5 x 11.5 x 3.5 = 905.6.
905.6/1728 = .524cu ft.
.524 - .088(speaker displacement) = .436cu ft.
I'm off on the cubic ft by probably another .02 as you'll why in the pics below.

Here is what I came up with for shallow subs.

BOX SHOTS! (I have yet to install the fronts.

The front/back & sides are 3/4"mdf while the top & bottom are 1/2". Every millimeter gained in space is necessary.

I bought some "nu-foam" in 1" thickness for the insulation at a fabric store instead of going with the traditional loose fill. The stuff on the left is what I used as the stuff on the right was a little too dense. This IS poly fill, just on a roll.

The insulation is glued down with super 77.

I didn't take a front shot but those arms you see sticking out are used as support for the top piece. Also, due to shallowness of the box, I opted to silicone the top piece by putting a bead around the top of the box and reinforcing with silicone around.

Here's what I'm proud of.. using 1/2"mdf, I made a rear deck to clear the convertible top "arms". The cuts you're looking are are necessary and it is NOT symmetrical as I thought. You'll notice the two additional holes on the each side.... those aren't vents. ;o)

Just enough space to clear the abs assembly/controller.

You're not seeing things. those are rears in a convertible. :BIG GRIN:

1993 TT. R.I.P. 09.15.2010

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.