TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - A little info about turbos and pipes (DYNO CHARTS)
People Seeking Info

Subject A little info about turbos and pipes (DYNO CHARTS)

Posted by Greg D. (Specialty-Z) on January 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM
  This message has been viewed 15421 times.

Message Something to keep in mind is power is relative.....What feels fast to some is slow to others.
Until you experience power, a bicycle feels fast.
I for one always seem to want MORE power.
We use to upgrade these cars by mostly going to a bigger turbo, a larger injector, full 2.5" exhaust and dual pops.
We also upgraded intercoolers, but we did nothing about the intercooler pipe size to really remove the restriction and make the whole system breathe and work together.
The Stock Z32TT exhaust is 2 inch and the Stock Z32 intercooler pipes are also 2 inch.
I have seen many posts about intercoolers and intercooler pipe size lately and people have tended to think the cost of the intercooler pipe upgrade might not be worth it.
I am here to tell you that IN MY OPINION it would be better to upgrade your intercoolers and pipes rather than upgrade your turbos if your not going to do both.
The people saying this I am sure have not driven a Z with larger intercoolers and larger intercooler pipes.
As you get into the 5 bolt housing turbos you get to a area where the turbo can move more air, but you want to increase the flow of all the parts in the system or it will be harder to get the turbo into the area where it will move more air and it will be and feel laggy. As the RPM increases it can still make more peak power as you turn the boost higher, but if the volume of air is not increasing by removing the restriction, the power band will be smaller and you will lose low end and mid range power.
Manifolds are a must as they are too small for stock turbos.
Full 3 inch exhaust will make the most power, but will also be the loudest. This is where folks need to compromise to be able to enjoy the car with what is more important to them, either all out power or reasonable sound and a little less top end. The 3 inch makes the biggest difference in the first sereral feet and after that it cools and is less important, but still has some effect.
I have found the 3 inch front parts make all the same gains down low and mid range as full 3 inch. The full 3 inch vs. just the front half only effects the top end.

A good way to look at it is that you can only get so much water out of a garden hose.....You can turn up the pressure and you will get more out of it, but it is still limited by the size of the hose.
Take a fire hose and even at low pressure the volume is much greater than the garden hose running full blast. Now turn up the pressure on the fire hose....
The engine makes power based on how much volume of air it can move..... The bigger turbos can move a lot more air, but if you try to squeeze it through the stock pipes your greatly reducing the efficiency of the turbo. If you move more volume before you start making pressure the amount of power will be drastically increased at each pressure level.

I think it is safe to say we have installed and tested more larger pipe set ups than anyone else so far. So I figured it is time to share some of these results.

In this first chart I will list what each of these cars mods are starting with the lowest power and work my way up the chart.........

The red line is a stock turbo car with a pop charger making 9 PSI.

The light blue line is a stock turbo car with a pop and 2.5" exhaust all the way making 14 PSI with a JWT chip.

The gold line is the same car as the blue one adding a Selin Translator dual pop set up.

The green line is a 530 turbo car with MS Manifolds, JWT Dual pop and Full 2.5" exhaust, 400+ cams with mild port work, stillen intercoolers, 555cc injectors.

The dark blue line is a 700 turbo car with MS Manifolds, JWT dual pops, full 2.5" exhaust, 500 cams with port work and oversize valves, Stillen intercoolers, 740cc Injectors.

The maroon line is a HKS 2530 car with MS Manifolds,JWT dual pops, full 2.5" exhaust, 500 cams, Stillen Intercoolers, 740cc Injectors.

The Violet line is my car (The only automatic on the list) with 3071 turbos, MS Manifolds, Dual custom Intake at the stock intercooler location, full 3 inch exhaust, TDM 2.5" front mount Intercooler and 2.5" intercooler piping, 500 cams with big port work and oversize valves, 850cc injectors. (You can look at my profile to see the total list of mods).

All these cars were run on the same dyno and are all under the same correction factor.
All cars are stick shift with the exception of my 3071 dyno.
All are running stock intercooler pipe and 2.5" exhaust, except for mine that is running larger pipes.

The next chart I am adding 2 more cars that both have 3 inch exhaust and 2.5" intercooler pipes,ASH massive Intercoolers and Z1 Throttle bodies.....
One is a 600 turbo car and the other is a 700 turbo car.

The new light green line added to this chart is a 600 turbo car with MS manifolds, 400+ cams, Full 3 inch exhaust, Ash Massive Intercoolers and 2.5 inch intercooler pipes, Z1 Throttle bodies, Selin dual intake, 740cc injectors.

The pink line added to the chart is a 700 turbo car with MS manifolds, 500 cams with larger ports and oversize valves, full 3 inch exhaust, Ash Massive Intercoolers and 2.5" intercooler pipes, Z1 Throttle bodies, JWT dual pop, 740cc injectors.

And last we will add a stock turbo, stock engine car to the chart that has 2.5" intercooler pipes, 2.5" Ash intercoolers, full 3 inch Exhaust, MS Manifolds, Selin dual intake, 740cc injectors.

NOTICE THE SIZE OF THE STOCK TURBO POWER BAND WITH THE BREATHER MODS

And the torque of all

AGAIN LOOK AT STOCK TURBO TORQUE SIZE

Here is without the 3071 so the detail is easier to see.

Horsepower

Torque

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.