TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Ugly Green Speaker Box v1.0
People Seeking Info

Subject Ugly Green Speaker Box v1.0

Posted by Madhatter10-6 on December 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM
  This message has been viewed 1603 times.

Message Since most of my interior is out for sound deadening and I have already sunk a small fortune into my car I figured it was as good of time as any to upgrade the stereo system (thanks to all the members who helped with my selection of components).

I have never really liked any of the options for mounting sub’s in the Z. I have a set of Chris’s speaker box’s and they are very well made but still take up a lot of trunk space and are visible, which for whatever reason I don’t like.

I started looking around for places to stash an 8 or 10 inch sub and decided to got with a spot behind the driver seat where the fuel pump controller is located. I bought a JL Audio 10w1v2-4 (shallow mount). It only requires .6 cubic feet to operate and had a mount depth of 4 inches and change.

Once the speaker arrived I did a quick test fit and then covered the entire channel going back toward the trunk with painters tape and made a fiberglass mold of the bottom.

This is how the mold look when it first came out.

I added some additional layers for strength

Here is where I started making the place for the speaker to mount

Speaker cut out

Test fit of the speaker

Fitment is very tight...shouldn't move around any

For my first attempt at fiber-glassing I am very pleased with how it turned out. Since it will never be seen I probably wont do anything to clean up its appearance any and just leave it ugly :)

My Space
Red Point Fitness
Madhatter10-6: 1991 Twin Turbo Stage: Sneaky

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.