TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Subframe rebuild fun.
People Seeking Info

Subject Subframe rebuild fun.

Posted by JT-Australia on July 19, 2010 at 4:27 AM
  This message has been viewed 1789 times.

Message Just a quick writeup on some suspension upgrades just completed. First job planned was to pull the rear subframe and changeover the stock bushes to SPL solid bushes.

One very dirty subframe removed from the car.

After stripping down the subframe and removing the old bushes, I decided to get the subframe sandblasted and powdercoated.

Freshly painted subframe

After freezing the aluminium bushes overnight in the fridge they slipped in quite easily with a rubber mallet.

Next thing to do was fit SPL solid diff bushes. These were much tighter and would not tap in with a mallet. I used a diff bolt and washers to pull them into place.

The diff has been rebuilt twice before, first time to fit leader gears and second time to fit the Quaife LSD. Nothing to do here except hit it with some paint and fit the diff bushes.

Diff and sway bar bolted back into place.

The hubs prior to disassembly and cleaning.

Next step, replace all the hub bushes with SPL spherical bearings. I was quoted $80 per bush x 8 to do this so decided to try myself. Used a threaded rod and some sockets to push the old bushes out.

For the large rubber shock absorber bush I used a hole saw and then tapped out the shell with a socket.

Pulling in the new bushes with a bolt and washers.

Fiited new Nissan outer ball joints.

Next project, cut the splash shields down to aid brake cooling. While this can be done without removing them, its much neater this way. Used a dremel to cut and tidy the spot weld holding the outer shield to the inner shield.

Time to reassemble the hubs and brakes.

New SPL lower control arms bolted in.

Completely reassembled and ready for fitting.

How the splash shields look from behind the rotor.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.