TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Yes and no, should have said constant voltage.
People Seeking Info

Subject Yes and no, should have said constant voltage.

Posted by lazer(NV) on January 17, 2010 at 2:15 AM
  This message has been viewed 256 times.

In Reply To There is no "constant current" posted by BobbyT on January 17, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Message You are right that no current flows in the solenoid until the solenoid is grounded. The current then flows, a magnetic field is formed, and the pintle is lifted allowing fuel to spray. Once the circuit is opened the current ceases, the magnetic field effectively disappears, and the pintle drops from a combination of fuel pressure and spring force.

However, applying a voltage to the wire isn't meaningless in terms of potentials. The solenoid has a capacitance and will charge under the influence of a potential. This electrostatic potential is 'supposedly' at fault with regards to corrosion of the solenoid windings not the current. Your notion of the voltage being meaningless is a bit misguided. The voltages (electrostatic scalar potentials) themselves aren't inherently important but rather potential differences (electric field). Look at any electroplating process.

And I totally disagree on your battery analogy. I've laid my arm across (accidentally) a few car batteries and I've received a shock.

From what I've seen the ethanol isn't 'breaking down' the resin. It may be diffusing through or 'seeping' through the resin. However, I haven't seen evidence of this happening except to say that injectors do fail by going to high resistance, indicating corrosion. The most likely explanation is ethanol.

"The 300ZX Turbo is a dance; it's a song; it's rolling, roaring automotive art. There is no color that doesn't suit it. There is no mood-lifting chemical substance it can't replace." - Automobile Magazine

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.