TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I agree and disagree
People Seeking Info

Subject I agree and disagree

Posted by Kyle(Houston) on September 21, 2006 at 1:58 PM
  This message has been viewed 1209 times.

In Reply To From the pictures ..................... posted by Greg D. (Specialty-Z) on September 21, 2006 at 01:24 PM

Message I have not installed any of the Nismo mounts, But I have installed well over 200 Factory mounts over the years and I can tell you the stock mount has about 3/4" gap when not installed. Once you put the weight of the trans on a stock Nissan mount about half of the gap disappears because the stock Nissan mount has very soft rubber.

I have also installed BOTH and they do "sag" a little when the weight of the transmission is applied but we are talking ~1/4" like you said. I doubt very seriously 1/4" is going to throw the drive shaft angle out and/or the exhaust hangers. Hell I bet the stock mount has that much flex up and down when under stress. I know my shifter moves under hard shifting and acceleration.

The reason the stock mount is so soft is to remove noise and vibration......This is why the only last about 5 years.

Right...that is why I think people are complaining about the Nismo mount. The Nismo mount is firmer so people "feel" the transmission and car vibrations more. Just like Sleepe said about the SPL mount. You get more vibration in your seat because the mount is right there not because the drive shaft is at a 1-2 degree different angle.

The driveshaft angle is very critical and is why the cars vibrate when the mount is worn.

I think it has more to do with the mount then the angle. I think when the stock mount fully sags like 300zx90 (co)'s it almost becomes a solid piece so people "feel" the vibrations more because the rubber part sits right on top of the solid mount.

The Nismo 240 mount does not move down when installed from what I have been told and from pictures folks have sent me. This means the trans is sitting up with the nismo mount the same amount that it moves down when a stock mount is worn.
:Also because the exhaust hanger studs are on the part of the mount where the trans height is, It causes the hangers to sit about a 1/4" to 3/8" higher.
:I am just bringing this up because customers have had some issues with the Nismo mount and by going back to the stock mount the problems went away.

Right...again I think it has more to do with what they "feel" with the more solid Nismo mount then with the stock mount. Same thing with solid motor mounts. It does not change any angles for the motor at all but you can "feel" the motor A LOT more with the solid motor mounts. Also the same with solid diffy mounts. Once installed you can "feel" more vibration in the rear because there is less flex.

Kyle "Grumpy Bear" Puckett
Import Parts Pro
Phone: 281-288-0700
AIM: KyleatIPP
Yahoo: KyleatIPP

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.