TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Powder coating, Ceramic, Engine coatings available in SE WI
People Seeking Info

Subject SELLING: Powder coating, Ceramic, Engine coatings available in SE WI

Posted by tacozzz on July 08, 2013 at 10:01 AM
  This message has been viewed 1853 times.

Screen Name:tacozzz
Phone:414-544-5020
E-mail:milwaukeeauto@mail.com
Research tacozzz's post history

Untitled Document

My name is Todd Kohls, owner and operator of Kohls Koatings. I am now offering powder coating, ceramic coating, and engine coating services to all the hot rodders in southeast Wisconsin. I have been working on cars since I was 16 and have powder coating my own parts and my friends' parts for the last 10 years. If you are interested in any coating services please call me at (414)544-5020. You can also visit my website at kohlskoatings.com.

What is powder coating?

Powder coating is becoming ever popular these days. Powder coating is a method of applying a tough, decorative and protective finish to a wide variety of parts in the automotive, motorcycle, and off-road world. The powder is consisted of finely ground resin and pigment and is electrostatically applied to a part. The part is then cured in an oven to a smooth or even a textured finish if you wish. The result is a uniform, durable, high-quality, and attractive finish.

I have hundreds of colors and combinations to choose from such as clear coats, metallic finishes, candy colors, fluorescents, wrinkled finishes, flat through high gloss finishes, mirror finishes, color changing, glow-in-the-dark and iridescent finishes.

The process consists of cleaning and degreasing the part with a solvent. Then it is blasted with either coarse black sand or glass beads, depending on the part. It is then preheated in an oven at 450 degrees to fully burn off any oil, wax, dirt, grime, or funk that might still be on the part. It is then cleaned again with acetone and masked and/or plugged depending on what doesn't need to be powder coated. At that point it will coated with any color you choose. Finally, the part is then carefully put in an oven and baked at 400 degrees. After cool down the part is inspected and ready for your project.

My oven measures 3 ft. x 3 ft. x 6 ft.

There are two different kinds of powders, single stage and two stage powders. A single stage powder is a one shot color. After it is cured it's ready to go. But a two stage color requires another coat to get the desired effect. It may be a chrome base with a candy clear, a black base with an "effect clear" (i.e. illusions), or a metallic base with a clear coat. The base coat is shot and cured in the oven at 400 degrees. After the part cools down to 150 degrees it is shot with the top coat and cured again at 400 degrees. These are usually the colors that really stand out in a crowd. But there is an additional 50% charge for them since they require more powder and more time in the oven.

You can see all the colors I offer here:

What is ceramic coating?

High temperature ceramic coating is often referred to as an exhaust coating, header coating or high heat coating. High temperature coatings are designed to prevent corrosion of exhaust systems and engine components. Corrosion is the breaking down of essential properties due to exposure to moisture in the air. The high temperature coating product can withstand temperatures in excess of 1200 degrees and some coatings can withstand temperatures higher that 1600 degrees. The high temperature coating process can also increase the durability and provide thermal insulation to the exhaust system. This durable ceramic coating runs between 2 and 4 mils thick and provides a hard finish which is resistant to rust and chipping. This coating process has an excellent adhesion and is abrasion resistant.

High temperature ceramic coatings are recommended for use on parts that are exposed to extremely high temperatures. Ceramic coating can be applied over chrome, aluminum, carbon steel, stainless steel or cast iron. It is ideal for parts exposed to extreme temperatures (2,000°F) such as exhaust pipes, headers, manifolds, turbo housings, intakes and brackets.

You can see all of the colors I offer here:

What are engine coatings?

Basically, they are an entire family of chemical surface treatments applied to various engine components. Depending on the particular coating and the desired end result, the object is to prevent the migration of heat, radiate heat, reduce friction, or shed oil. Most coatings fall into one of four broad functional categories: antifriction lubricants (lubricity coatings), thermal-barrier coatings, thermal dispersants, and oil shedders. Some coatings may fall into more than one category. Detailed composition info is a closely held secret among various competitive coating outfits, so we'll concentrate on the claimed benefits in typical applications rather than get into detailed, high-end metallurgical metaphysics.

Here are the coatings I offer:

For a full price list visit:

All prices are estimates only and pricing will depend on the amount of prep work involved.

Prices are subject to change upon inspection.

Prices listed include media blasting of new metal parts, as well as masking and plugging threaded holes. Custom masking is extra.

There will be an additional charge for removal of old powder coating, excessive paint, or heavy corrosion. If a part requires that a chemical stripper be used prior to blasting there will be an additional charge.

All parts should be clean of any grease, rubber, gaskets, or plastic, and all grease fittings should be removed. Parts with grease, sludge, or oil will be charged a de-greasing fee.

Bearings and seals can be removed by Kohls Koatings; however, there will be an additional charge for this service.

Each piece must be disassembled or additional charges will apply.

Brake calipers will be disassembled and assembled by the customer only. No Exceptions!!!

Kohls Koatings is not responsible for controlling "out gassing" of parts, a problem of internal gasses within a casting which when heated up can possibly come to the surface creating tiny pin holes. Cast aluminum wheels and parts may experience out-gassing and/or bubbling in the finished powder coating. Kohls Koatings will take every precaution to avoid out-gassing, however, we can not guarantee that out-gassing will not occur in porous castings.

Above pricing includes abrasive blasting, de-gassing preparation (pre-bake), and powder coating in a single stage in stock color.

If you do not see a part listed that you would like to have powder coated, contact us.

We DO NOT powder coat magnesium.

There is a 50% additional charge for colors such as clear coats and translucent/anodized/candy colors due to being a 2-step coating process. These colors all have a * next to it on the color chart. Please give us a call or email us if you are unsure.

Custom blends, or custom matched colors are available, please call for pricing.

If you have any questions, please contact Todd Kohls at (414)544-5020.

17" Enkei Rims - Chrome Smoke Base with a Clear Vision Top

Nissan 240sx Valve Cover - Black Lava Base with a Clear Vision Top

Nissan 300zx Front and Rear Lower Control Arms - Mirror Black

Nissan 300zx Front Kingpin Arms - Mirror Black

Nissan 300zx Front Crossmember - Mirror Black

Chrysler Conquest Valve Cover - Black Ice

Mitsubishi 3000gt Valve Covers - Wrinkle Red

Redline Bike Frame - Almost Chrome Base with a Shimmer Lime Green Top

Honda S2000 Valve Cover - Almost Chrome Base with a Candy Teal Top

Honda CBR600 Frame - Almost Chrome Base with a Candy Red Top

Nissan 300zx Intake Manifold - Metallic Gold Base with a Clear Vision Top

Nissan 300zx FMIC Piping - Metallic Gold Base with a Clear Vision Top

Nissan 300zx Adjustable Suspension Arms - Metallic Gold Base with a Clear Vision Top

Nissan Sentra SR20DE Valve Cover - Titanium Vein

Nissan 300zx Front Knuckles and Wheel Hubs - Cast Aluminum

Nissan 300zx Rear Knuckles - Cast Aluminum

Mack Bulldog - Silver Vein Base with a Clear Vision Top

Harley Exhaust Pipes - Textured Satin Black (NLA)

PK Ripper Bike Frame - Almost Chrome Base with a Shimmer Blue Top

Mazda Valve Cover - Mirror Black Base with a Fireside Copper Top

Nissan 300zx Transmission Cases - Mirror White

Nissan 300zx Oil Pan - Mirror White

Nissan Power Steering Resivoir - Mirror White

Nissan 300zx Water Pipes - Mirror White

Nissan Pathfinder Front Control Arms - Fury Red Fine Metallic Base with a Clear Vision Top

Nissan Pathfinder Front Coil Springs - Fury Red Fine Metallic Base with a Clear Vision Top

Nissan Pathfinder Front Brake Calipers - Fury Red Fine Metallic Base with a Clear Vision Top

Nissan Pathfinder Front Wheel Hubs - Fury Red Fine Metallic Base with a Clear Vision Top

Nissan Pathfinder Front Suspension Nuts and Bolts - Fury Red Fine Metallic Base with a Clear Vision Top

Honda H22 Valve Cover - Metallic Orange Base with a Clear Vision Top

Follow Ups
  • Powder coating, Ceramic, Engine coatings available in SE WI - tacozzz 10:01:48 07/08/13