TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Flex-A-Lite 420 Dual 12-in E-Fans and Variable Speed Control
People Seeking Info

Subject SELLING: Flex-A-Lite 420 Dual 12-in E-Fans and Variable Speed Control

Posted by thebrownbomber on April 03, 2011 at 10:36 AM
  This message has been viewed 367 times.

Screen Name:thebrownbomber
Phone:301.275.3738
E-mail:thebrownbomber10@gmail.com
Research thebrownbomber's post history

Message I bought a new radiator fan, fan clutch and shrouds so these E-fans and controller are not needed. Fans are from PO, controller was installed in the fall.

You will need a new temp probe to operate the controller, since the one I have got its wires jacked up. Or you can just use the manual control switch FAL sells to control it when you want. This is not a normal 12V switch, I think it is 5V. Anyway, I will include all the wires and connectors I have removed from my car's install and the instructions that came with the VSC (Part # 31165).

I liked the fans predominantly because of the space it freed under the hood, the reduction of parasitic loss on the engine, their operation independent of the engine, and the ability to turn them on or off from the cabin. Here is some info about the controller itself:

"Thermal Switch Style Adjustable fan control kit
Sending Unit Style Radiator probe
Sending Unit Included No
Fan Quantity Single/Dual
Adjustment Range (F) 160-220 degrees F
Relay Included No
Wiring Harness Included Yes
Manual Override Switch Included No
Air Conditioning Relay Included No
Notes Variable speed control allows fan speed from 60 to 100 percent, depending on built-in thermostat setting.

Flex-a-lite variable speed controllers attach on or near the electric fan, sensing coolant temperature via a radiator probe or temperature sending unit. They set fan speed from 60 to 100 percent, depending on the built-in thermostat's setting. The thermostats have a range of 160-220 degrees F. The variable speed controllers allow greater control over engine temperature, which helps to reduce charging spikes and current load on the charging system. They allow a maximum load of 30 amps, and keep the fans running for 30 seconds after your vehicle is turned off." The controller also waits 5 seconds after the key is turned to protect the electrical system from excessive drain if your car is already hot. The fans will come on at 60%, and gradually increase to 100% over a 10 degree rise, to reduce the electrical load. The controller automatically comes on at a preemptive 60% if you turn on your AC. It has 4 mode LEDs so you can see what it's thinking. It's guts are also sealed up with some kind of plastic, so it's pretty resiliant with water. Mine was under the nose panel. Very well thought-out item.

There are pics of my engine bay in my car's thread, but if you want current pictures I can go take some. Removed yesterday so no current pics ATM.

New 420 fans (with the s-blade) are 317 and up, and the controller is 98 and up. Since the fans have some degreaser spots on them from when I cleaned the bay, I will sell it all for

$260 + ship/pp or $220 picked up

Texts and email are best

Follow Ups
  • Flex-A-Lite 420 Dual 12-in E-Fans and Variable Speed Control - thebrownbomber 10:36:19 04/03/11