TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - FS: So Cal - '91 300zx TT, black, 5spd, salvage title
People Seeking Info

Subject SELLING: FS: So Cal - '91 300zx TT, black, 5spd, salvage title

Posted by onosQV on February 17, 2009 at 3:50 AM
  This message has been viewed 550 times.

Screen Name:onosQV
Phone:9495555555
E-mail:powered.by.orange@gmail.com
Research onosQV's post history

Message Hi everyone,
I've had this car for over a year, most of the time spent returning it to stock for a daily driver.

I bought it from a friend - salvage title - he got it this way & the previous owner told him the driver side & fender were hit & replaced - that's about as much of details about the salvage title that I know.

Selling because this daily driver has become more of a project car and 2 project cars is one too many.

Asking $4000 obo; I've invested over $5000 & countless hours returning the car to stock, replacing broken parts, and troubleshooting. Comes w/ oem 300zx keys (master & valet).

Located in So Cal (Orange County area)

Current mileage: approximately 114,160

*doesn't pass smog* - failed NOx, diagnosed as "no vacuum to egr".

Almost everything is now stock
- new rebuilt oem injectors (python) installed
- ngk spark plugs
- replaced passenger side turbo & passenger side o2 --> now both turbos boost

Good/Modified parts
- dual exhaust - not sure what brand, but sounds fine
- rear valance - again, not sure what brand
- lowering springs - small drop, rides soft/similar to oem, unknown brand
- turbo timer - will probably be removed by the time it sells
- 16x8 +6 Work Barosso Rims, 225/50R16 Bridgestone RE750's all around (a few mm small for the rears, but at the time, not both turbos were spooling - still holds fine for driving though)
- *note: car has a customized license plate that I will be retaining, you will need to get a new plate from the dmv (depending on when this sells, may already be taken care of).
- registration has been paid for '09, waiting on stickers

Bad
- salvage title
- idle issues (story below)
- cracked windshield
- dashboard material is lifted near the defroster vent (not that noticeable from in the car, but is noticeable outside
- vandalized hood (stupid hoodlums keyed my hood one night)
- no radio (may have time to install a cheap radio, but don't count on it)
- exterior needs some tlc
- rear hatch stays up, but you will want to replace the hatch struts (just a lil force will make the hatch close)

Idling story
The car was modified, now returned mostly to stock, & was sitting for most of the year while we pulled the plenum, got parts, and replaced things under the hood (passenger side turbo wasn't boosting -> causing problems).

The car now boosts, however, it has idling issues (no idle issues prior to returning to stock - just boosting issues) -> bad idling when cold - i.e. you need to keep the revs up until the engine warms up. Once warmed up, it drives fine; idle is still a little rough, but manageable.

It has the newer version of the PTU unit (for the z32 guys who know about the PTU problems that z's have), TPS was replaced & adjust which helped but didn't fully fix the issues, knock sensor was relocated to top of plenum for diagnostic purposes, and still has the idle problems. The general consensus through forum searching on z forums is either vacuum/boost leak (highly possible considering I removed the entire upper plenum) or corroded electrical connectors (also possible since the car was sitting for a few months, but I cleaned as many out w/ electrical connector cleaner as I could).

Pictures

Follow Ups
  • FS: So Cal - '91 300zx TT, black, 5spd, salvage title - onosQV 03:50:09 02/17/09